Do you have a difficult site? And are you needing help with how to design for it? That’s what this upcoming podcast season will be all about.
For the non-standard, non-normal, tricky sites. A cookie cutter approach doesn’t work when your land, block size and shape is different.
When you’re renovating or building, you have a unique opportunity to create a home that suits your block of land. That makes the most of its assets, minimizes the things you don’t like about it, or its immediate environment, and really celebrates the qualities of where you live, and the land you live on.
Homeowners often don’t understand the challenges that are specific to their type of block. And in doing so, they miss the opportunity to maximise the site’s characteristics, and minimise the things they don’t like about it.
Over the coming season, I’ll be sharing specific design strategies you can use when designing a reno or new home for a trickier or difficult block.
And whilst I’ll be sharing a specific type of block each episode, the strategies I’m sharing and questions I’ll be suggesting you ask yourself, will help you whatever type of block you’re on.
So, let me explain how this season will go. In each episode, as I talk about the different types of tricky sites, I’ll be outlining:
- the main challenges for that type of block, and what requires careful consideration when designing your reno or new home
- the main advantages or opportunities you want to make the most of
- key questions to ask – either yourself, your designer or your builder – so you design a project that is specific to your block of land, whatever it’s shape, size or type
- and I’ll also be going through what to focus on to get it right if you’re choosing a home off the plan, building a custom-design home, or extending and renovating an existing home
These are the different types of blocks I’ll be talking about across this coming season.
- Episode 01 Corner Blocks
- Episode 02 Narrow blocks
- Episode 03 Wide, shallow blocks
- Episode 04 Sloping blocks
- Episode 05 Acreage blocks
- Episode 06 Dual access blocks
- Episode 07 Blocks where the main view is from upper floor
So, let’s dive in!
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Watch Eric Reinholdt’s fantastic description of site analysis in this video (and check out the rest of his YouTube channel) >>>
First season of the Get it Right podcast (to learn more about your site’s assets) starts here >>> https://undercoverarchitect.com/podcast-s1-episode1/