What is important to know when building or renovating your home?
And how can you, as a homeowner, get clear on your project wishes and desires.
Jake Krokowski is a designer based in South Carolina, USA. In 2015, he founded JWK Design, to help families realise their dream of a comfortable, modern home. He has some fantastic tips and ideas to help you get clarity in your project, and communicate your wishes and desires clearly with those you’re working with.
Jake Krokowski of JWK Design is my second guest on this episode of the podcast, and he specialises in new homes, renovations and landscape design. And my first guest on this episode, is Marina V Umali, an Interior Designer and Certified Feng Shui Practitioner based in New York State (you can learn more about Marina V Umali here).
So, let me introduce Jake to you.
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE HERE:
With 20 years industry and design experience, Jake has worked on design teams for large international resorts and prominent public projects, most notably the reconstruction of the World Trade Centre in New York.
As well as working with clients on their custom new homes and renovations, he is also a registered Landscape Architect.
Jake can assist with
- Landscape & Architectural design concepts & planning
- Construction drawings & material selection
- Bid review & contractor vetting
- Construction oversight & quality control
Jake shares some great insight into what most challenges homeowners, and how he helps them to get clear on their project needs and desires. So, let’s dive into my chat with Jake.
I ASKED JAKE KROKOWSKI, JWK DESIGN, THESE QUESTIONS …
- What do you particularly enjoy about working with homeowners on their family home projects?
- What type of projects does JWK Design do?
- What do you find homeowners are most struggling with when they first talk to you about their plans to renovate or build their family home?
- One of the things you suggest is that homeowners determine why they’re planning a renovation or new home. Why do you think this is important?
- You also suggest people look at the constraints associated with their project. What do you see these constraints are and why is it key to determining them up front?
- You’re a landscape architect as well. How do you suggest homeowners think about their landscape design when embarking on a new home or renovation?
I hope you enjoy the fantastic tips and ideas Jake offers in our interview. I especially love that analysis of constraints, and how to think about what needs to be considered on any new build or renovation project at an analytical level.
Listen to the episode now. And be sure to get in touch with Jake to let him know you heard him on Undercover Architect, and to thank him for all he shares!!
This podcast is an edited version of the full interview, which now is featured inside my online course “The Welcome Home Course” for American homeowners.
In Jake’s full interview, he has some great tips for …
- how to design for Carolina’s climate and conditions
- what type of roofing, materials and window systems are best for this type of climate
- the planning conditions in the Carolinas to be aware of
- local resources to help you with renovating and building in the Carolinas
In “The Welcome Home Course”, I’ve teamed up with award-winning American architect, Eric Reinholdt, to create a specific course for American homeowners.
If you’re planning your renovation or new build, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and confused about the best way forward.
Many homeowners make the mistake of diving in, and fall for all sorts of terrible advice as a result. And the journey becomes far more stressful, expensive and time consuming as a result. And their finished home never lives up to the dreams they held so dear.
When you have the steps to follow, the map for your journey ahead, you can then move confidently towards that future home you’re dreaming of, and not waste any time or money.
When you know that step-by-step system has been created over decades of experience in hundreds and hundreds of family homes like yours, you can save so much stress in your project, and create a home that works and feels great.
And when you have the steps, as well as professional know-how, design knowledge, tools, resources, and guides, you can shortcut your journey, enjoy your experience, and avoid the heartache and drama so many experience.
If you’re keen to make your journey simpler, be confident that the home you’re dreaming of is achievable, and know the steps to get you there … ‘The Welcome Home Course’ is the way.
Together with Eric Reinholdt, 30X40 Design Workshop, we’ve packaged up almost 45 years experience to show you the way to your future family home.
Head to The Welcome Home Course to learn more and join us.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS PODCAST:
Find him on the web and access his free downloadable resources >>> JWK Design’s Website
Follow him on Instagram >>> JWK Design’s Instagram
Check out his Houzz profile >>> JWK Design’s profile on Houzz
Check his YouTube channel >>> JWK Design’s YouTube Channel
And Facebook is here >>> JWK Design’s Facebook