Getting it right when building in bushfire prone areas is much simpler when you use a bushfire consultant.
They can help you choose the right strategy and approach, especially when you have a BAL 40 or BAL FZ rating.
Bushfire Consultants are an essential team member when building or renovating in a bushfire prone area.
This episode is Part 2 of my conversation with Jeff Dau, a Bushfire Consultant from Ember Bushfire Consulting.
If you haven’t listened to Part 1 of our conversation, head there now.
In this episode, I’ll be talking more with Jeff about building and renovating in bushfire prone areas, or on land that has a bushfire overlay.
Specifically, we’ll be discussing how to manage a BAL 40 or BAL Flame Zone rating, understanding distances to vegetation, sprinkler systems, and some of the other strategies you can use in building well in these areas. Plus other info I know you’ll find helpful.
In this episode, I ask Jeff questions such as:
• What many experienced in these bushfires was the rate of spread, and what that meant in terms of ember attacks. How that might impact recommendations for rebuilding?
• What are your recommendations in looking at distances to vegetation, sprinkler systems, and considering upgrading the standard of build for their home?
• Do you have suggestions for what to target in a strategy for rebuilding in a smarter, more resilient way?
• When facing a BAL 40 or BAL FZ, how do you suggest homeowners approach their overall strategy (including considering fire bunkers)?
• In your work with subdivisions etc, what are some of the things you look at to help larger communities be more resistant and resilient?
• There’s been a lot of talk about whether people should be ‘allowed’ to rebuild in these areas … and the potential for BAL ratings or requirements to increase in response to these fires. What are your thoughts on this, especially given your territory is in some of these severely impacted areas?
EMBER Bushfire Consultants are a team of qualified, accredited and experienced fire industry professionals.
They are all accredited Bushfire Consultants under the Fire Protection Association of Australia accreditation scheme, and their accreditation is your assurance that their knowledge and advice is current and that our delivery of service is of the highest level.
Co-Founder, Jeff Dau, has had 23 years of experience as a professional in the fire services industry. Jeff has a Bachelor of Applied Science (Environmental Science) and two Graduate Diplomas being Fire Safety Engineering and Bushfire Protection.
Ember takes a “whole of life” approach, offering consulting services for all stages of development.
This includes a range of consulting services focussed on assessing new development and construction on Bushfire Prone Land, and prescribing bushfire protection measures to minimise the potential impact of bushfires on life and property.
Ember services local government areas across the Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, Snowy Mountains, South West Slopes and South Coast in NSW.
So, let’s hear more from Jeff Dau.
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE NOW.
CATCH UP ON PART 1 HERE.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS PODCAST:
Jeff Dau, Ember Bushfire Consulting
Website >> https://www.bushfireassessor.com.au/
Fire Protection Association Australia (to find an accredited Bushfire Consultant in your area) >>
Website >> http://www.fpaa.com.au/
Australian Standard for Construction in Bushfire Prone Areas
AS3959 PDF Download (available free) >>> https://infostore.saiglobal.com/en-au/standards/as-3959-2018-122340_saig_as_as_2685241/
Leave a Reply