Designing a sustainable new home or renovation can be confusing.
Kyle Macht of Macht Architecture has a wealth of knowledge and advice to share with us, and simplify the process.
After graduating with a degree in Architectural Engineering from Pennsylvania State University, Kyle Macht joined a Green Design/Build firm that specialized in energy consulting. He worked as an energy consultant for commercial buildings and new homes before becoming the lead residential designer and managing construction of several projects.
In 2015, Kyle officially joined his father’s practice to reinforce and add to Macht Architecture’s capabilities and expertise in building science, construction technology, construction management, and residential design.
This move was a return to when Kyle first discovered architecture and engineering by working in his father’s studio while studying at Penn State. Kyle has decided there’s no place he’d rather be than working with his father again to pursue their common vision for architecture, sustainability and building science to translate each client’s dreams to their fullest potential.
My first guest on this episode, is Kate Hamblet, of Balanced Architecture learn more about Kate here, and Kyle is my second guest in this interview. Together, they generously share so much wisdom and knowledge about designing a sustainable new home or renovation – and one that supports your health and well-being.
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE HERE:
Kyle received his CPHC (Certified Passive House Consultant) in 2016 and has been continually honing his learning and experience in Passive House. Macht Architecture’s goal is to do all PHIUS and/or NZER projects, and they currently have some in the works.
Macht Architecture, formally known as Paul Macht Architects, was founded in 1990 to provide architectural design services to clients seeking sustainable, energy efficient, healthy homes.
Their goal with each new residence, renovation, or addition is to translate the clients dreams and needs into a design and structure that creates an enhanced and sustainable relationship to the landscape and in the case of an addition, to the existing structure.
Passive solar design and a tight, well insulated envelope help inform the design and construction detailing. Sustainable healthy materials, an energy efficient heating and cooling system, good air quality, are incorporated into their environmentally sensitive designs.
I ASKED KYLE MACHT, MACHT ARCHITECTURE, THESE QUESTIONS …
- What makes you so passionate about an environmental approach to design?
- What type of work does Macht Architecture do? (Style, size of project, renovations or new builds, budgets, size)
- How do you define sustainable design when it comes to renovating and building?
- What do you find most homeowners assume about renovating or building in a sustainable way?
- Sustainable design is a BIG topic … how do you keep on top of your learning? What do you recommend homeowners do / where do they look for help with this?
- Can you tell us about the key measures or systems that homeowners can use to create a sustainable home? How do they differ?
Kyle is super clever and loves continually researching the improvements in sustainable design, so he has loads of great advice to share in our interview.
Listen to the episode now. And be sure to get in touch with Kyle to let him know you heard him on Undercover Architect, and to thank him for all he shares!!
This podcast is an edited version of the full interview, which is featured inside “The Welcome Home Course”, an online course for American homeowners.
In the full interview, Kyle has some fantastic help in …
- specific issues for renovating and building in Rhode Island and Pennsylvania
- understanding control layers in building and protecting your home overall
- where LEEDs fits into sustainable building models
- how to create comfort in your home without making it a leaky building
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS PODCAST:
Visit Macht Architecture’s Website >>> CLICK HERE
Follow them on Instagram >>> CLICK HERE
Check their Houzz Profile >>> CLICK HERE
And Facebook is here >>> CLICK HERE
Building Science Podcast ‘Positive Energy’ (mentioned by Kyle in his interview) >>> CLICK HERE
Head The Welcome Home Course to learn more.